Brown Trout

Salmo trutta


Brown Trout

The beautiful and well known Brown Trout is olive brown in colour with yellow hints along its flanks. You will find some prime specimens with orange and red spots along its sides and others with black encircled spots. The brown Trout’s tail fin is usually unspotted and its adipose fin will usually show a orange or reddish tinge.


The largest UK capture was 25lb 6oz in 2006, this is a monster in comparison to its average weight of 4 to 8 pounds.


The average length for a Brown Trout varies between 6 to 36 inches, these guys come in all sizes!


The average life expectancy of a Brown trout is 15 to 20 years.


Brown Trout love well oxygenated rivers and streams with plenty of cover and pools, Brown Trout will do well in purpose built food rich lakes too. Brown trout prefer cooler waters and will spend a lot of their time around sunken boulders, logs and in areas with overhead cover. Gravelled areas are also a preferred hang out spot.


We’re working on it!


Brown trout will locate food near to the bottom of their habitat around 75% of the time. The other 25% they will head to the top to feast on drowning flies or a well presented bait. They are opportunistic feeders and are hungry both day and night. Their diet will include most things that will fit into its mouth, Flies and invertebrates are all on the menu. The largest of brown trout feed under the cover of darkness.


This species will reach sexual maturity around the age of 2 to 3 years at this time they will be between 6 to 8 inches in length.


Brown Trout prefer to breed in the colder months and will make their move between the months of October to January when the water temperature is between 3-4 degrees. A fighting fit female will lay around 2,000 eggs per kg in weight. The little once will spend a long time in and around gravelled areas before moving off downstream.


All information is from a variety of sources, if you think we have missed something? Email with your update.

See you on the bank.

The Fishing UK Team!

Fishing Apps

Fishing Dorset

Buy Fishing Dorset now!